So you have realised that you would like some dietary advice but would like psychotherapy as well.
At your first appointment we would:
- Introduce ourselves and i would suggest how we structure the session.
- Understand what has brought you to see me- it will only be a summary at this stage.
- Discuss your goals and expectations for diet and for therapy
- Start to look at your diet- I may take an initial “diet history” and f appropriate, advise and agree some targets for change.
- Discuss your expectations of how therapy works perhaps referring to previous experiences
- See if we can work together- whether we get on! We would also keep checking on this throughout your therapy.
- Agree on a verbal contract- (confidentiality, day, time, cancellations etc.).
- Discuss my way of working and i can answer your questions about this.
- We would discuss and agree how we plan to divide time between dietary advice and psychotherapy.
I usually suggest that after your first appointment you go away and take time to reflect whether you would like to work with me or not.
If you decide to proceed, i normally suggest 6 sessions, held weekly, with a review of progress at the 6th session, to decide whether you would like to continue or not. At this review we would also discuss what has been gained, what has been difficult or easy, what has changed etc. If you decide to continue we might decide on a new focus or goal.
We would agree whether to arrange a certain number of sessions or else to continue with open-ended therapy until it feels right to stop.