I have always been fascinated by the workings of the mind. I found myself asking:
- Why do we behave in the ways that we do?
- When we want to make changes to ourselves or to our lives, why is it often so difficult?
- Why is it that we seem to be full of so many contradictions and ambiguities?
I also became interested in how we communicate with each other. I have found that there are ways in which I can be more helpful to another person- by:
- avoiding assumptions and
- keeping an open mind.
I work in a client-centered way, using counseling skills, rather than imposing my own agenda.
I realized that I love working at a deeper level with people. I want to help them to find out what is really going on, however difficult, emotional or confusing it may be. I want to help others to disentangle complicated issues in order to understand themselves better, remove obstacles to wellbeing and to help them reach their full potential. I pursued an MSc in Integrative psychotherapy to learn both theory and practical skills.
- I am inspired by nutrition and by science – this was my original training.
- I believe strongly that “we are what we eat”. The food we eat has a profound effect on our well being. Good food will prevent infection and disease and allow us to be at our best.
- I believe that in most cases, our nutritional requirements can be met by a balanced diet.
- I want to help people who also have a strong emotional connection with food-whether it’s disordered eating, comfort eating or else an eating disorder.
A few highlights of my professional experience: in a nutshell
- I have worked for 16 years in the NHS as a dietitian and I have a wide range of experience in nutrition and dietetics
- I have taught communication skills to student dietitians at Kings college, London for 16 years.
- I have worked as a psychotherapist in a low cost counselling service (The listening centre, Oxford) for 3 years
- I have been a trustee of the charity: “The listening centre” for 2 years
- I have co-written an update of the text book “Counselling skills for dietitians” with accompanying DVD.
- I have recently co-authored a published research paper on communication skills in renal dietetics.
- I have been working freelance as a dietitian and psychotherapist since 2009